Every business has to register for VAT with HM Revenue and Customs if their VAT taxable turnover is above the given threshold and depending on the scheme selected.
Upon registration, HMRC provides you with a VAT registration certificate. The VAT registration certificate displays your VAT number and the date of the first VAT return and payment.
Moreover, it displays the effective date of registration. It can either be the date you went upon the threshold or the date you registered in case of voluntary registration.
Table of Contents
Thresholds for UK VAT Registration Process
- Mandatory Registration for businesses whose VAT Taxable turnover is more than £85,000 in the past 12 months or if your turnover is expected to exceed £85,000 in the next 30 days.
- For distance selling into the UK whose VAT Taxable Turnover is more than £70,000.
- For bringing goods into the UK from the EU whose VAT Taxable Turnover is more than £85,000.
- Voluntary Registration for businesses whose turnover is below £85,000. They must pay VAT they owe on the date you register with HMRC.
Documents Required for UK VAT Registration Process
List of documents required is as below:
- National Insurance (NI) number
- Tax identifier i.e. Unique Taxpayer’s reference (UTR) number
- Certificate of incorporation/incorporation details
- Business bank accounts details
- Information on all associated businesses within the last two years
UK VAT Registration Process
By doing this you’ll register for VAT and create a VAT online account (sometimes known as a ‘Government Gateway account’). You need this to submit your VAT Returns to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
Steps for UK VAT Registration Process
- Go to Online Portal.
- Sign up for a new Government Gateway account.
- After successful sign-up, start your registration process as guided on the HMRC website.
- Enter relevant details and apply for VAT registration.
- On successful submission, VAT Registration Number will be provided to the user.
The sign-up details will be used as your login and password. A user needs to verify the email address and other details as and when required. Businesses will be notified by email and SMS as soon as your VAT registration number is generated.
In addition to that, you can also download other UK VAT Templates like UK VAT Sales Register UK VAT Debit Note, UK VAT Credit Note, UK VAT Invoice Template, UK VAT Multiple Tax Invoice Template, UK VAT Invoice Template With Discount, and many more from our website.
We thank our readers for liking, sharing, and following us on different social media platforms.
If you have any queries please share in the comment section below. I will be more than happy to assist you.